Thursday, May 3, 2012

Well Known, Getting Well {Bigger Picture Moment}


Insurrection.
{an act or instance of rising in revolt, rebellion, or resistance against civil authority or an established government}
And the title of a book by Peter Rollins.

Several weeks ago, a good friend, who knows me very well, suggested I read this very interesting and thought provoking book. The subtitle on the front cover is "To believe is human. To doubt, divine." Beginning with those words, Rollins helps us to ask ourselves some very difficult and soul searching questions. I love reading books that challenge the status quo, and this book certainly did just that.


As I started this book, I was reminded how really good it feels to be known. And understood. Not only did I learn so much as I read, but my heart was moved and my soul was inspired. Thanks, David. 


I could write lists and fill pages with the insights I gleaned as I read. And I'll be re-reading this one.

The best moment came in the middle of page 131. I was sitting at my desk at work, reading while finishing my lunch. I was not expecting the ground to shift underneath me. But there it was. A thought. A thought that penetrated and settled quickly in my consciousness. And as my brain wrapped itself around this new concept, something that's had a strong hold on me for several years melted away. Regret that I haven't been able to shake - gone. Some pain and guilt that have haunted me in spite of my best efforts to let go of them - gone. 


It fascinates me that by "simply" changing a thought pattern, we can profoundly alter our very state of being. And I'm always amazed by the power of the written word. Thoughts and words are my tools, my weapons of choice...as I strive to dismantle the status quo in my life.


Link
Linking up at Melissa's

7 comments:

  1. Nice post, Adrienne. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Wish I lived nearby and we could sit down and discuss it over a glass of wine... Je t'embrasse, mon amie

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am not a reader, for various reasons beyond my control. you made this sound so interesting, if only i could remember what i just read!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so intrigued about the book and your life lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Words can be so powerful! What an amazing thing, that something you've struggled with was banished by a new thought. Such a neat thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to put this book on my list of must reads :) Love your ending...Thoughts and words are my tools, my weapons of choice...as I strive to dismantle the status quo in my life.

    True ...keep shinning :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those nagging thoughts and guilt really can weigh us down and eat away at us. What a gift to find a new way of seeing that allows you to move on. Hold tight to that new way of seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE those moments! And they are rare, even from beloved boo. I still remember one from high school - it felt like the entire sky had opened up inside my head. Truly powerful and life-altering. I would love to know more about what you learned and how it changed you! But, of course, only if you wish to tell!

    ReplyDelete