Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Celebrating Their Independence {Bigger Picture Moment}



Those are some happy kids.

My daughter and her husband are in Maine celebrating the 4th and vacationing with her Cameron family.
My son's visiting his girlfriend and her family on the Cape. Or Martha's Vineyard. Or both - I'm not exactly sure!

Look at those sun kissed faces. Those grins. The twinkle in their eyes....

Today, as I thought about celebrating independence, I thought a lot about my kids. Not because I wished they were here (because I didn't)...Or felt somehow that my day was incomplete without them (because it wasn't)...No, I thought about how happy I knew they both were....in beautiful places, playing in the sun and waves and spending time with lots of people they love and that love them. And I thought about how proud of them I am. Both have grown into independent thinkers, and hard workers. Both full of faith. Both loyal to family and friends.

Independence implies not only a lack of restrictions, but also the ability to stand alone.

It's been years since they've had any "parental" restrictions to answer to. And, I hope they feel they've always been free to express themselves and be themselves and discover all it is that they were meant to   do and become. But it's only recently that I can say that I know....really know...from deep inside myself, that they are able. Oh, so able. To stand. To stand alone.

So I found myself today celebrating their independence. Rejoicing with them and for them. We all know that no path, no life, is trouble free. And so much of their lives are still to be mapped out. But I know that whatever comes their way...one step at a time, they will rise up to meet the challenges. They will stand up and take responsibility. And they will love, laugh and live it up as much as possible along the way!




Linking up at Jade's place
today to share our simple moments...

13 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to independence. You know you've done a wonderful job when you can let them go and know that they are not only happy but living a great life! I wish the same for my boys! I hope you had a great fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful tribute to your children and independence. It's so good when we know our children are happy and that if hurdles come their way that they will be able to rise to the challenge. I love the pics and their sun kissed faces ;) hope you had a great fourth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to be writing this in 20 years ... it's the cry of my heart that these boys of mine would be independent of me but dependent on Him, full of faith, loyalty, love ... like yours.

    Wish I would take notes on how you guys parented ... I love learning from those who have walked well through those years. Inspiring, Adrienne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this... and echo Hy's statements above in wanting to take notes on how you ended up where you are with such beautiful relationships with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. loving and letting go....

    awesome pictures, beautiful people!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Love you. Very much.

    2. Totally called this blog topic for the day. You can ask my girlfriend to verify. I nailed it.

    3. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had some comment all worked out in my mind, and then your son's comment took my words and jumbled them into a teary mess -- you guys are so blessed! I look at my loud, messy, sweethearted, darling children, tiny and dependent as they are, and see only glimpses of independence. But reading this, and seeing your son's comment -- gah. It's not just a fairy tale, after all. Or it is, but so much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love this!! What a wonderful show of respect for your own children and it's beautiful that you celebrate them in this way. It just goes to show what a fabulous mother you've been and continue to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This touched my heart. There is such contentment in seeing them able to stand alone. I completely understand that when you say your day was not incomplete without them nor did you wish the day away wanting them with you it is because they can indeed stand on their own. That is our goal after all!
    Wonderful piece. Happy Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like I'm looking into my future. It will be a bittersweet day when I can finally write this about my two boys. But when it comes I will celebrate just like you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful. You very obviously did an excellent job at the most important, and the most difficult, job in life - raising children to be strong, successful, independent. Congratulations on a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Exactly my thoughts about my newly-independent daughter.
    Thank you.
    I'm sending her a link to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Adrienne! I would never have thought of connecting Independence Day with the independence of our children. Great perspective!

    ReplyDelete