Monday, February 25, 2013

Yippee?? {Project 52 - Week 8}


I was so excited when I woke up on Saturday.

It was appliance day! Four new appliances. Four! Lest you think I won the lottery, let me explain. Before we resigned a lease for our current place, I asked the landlord if he would waive a month's rent and let me replace the appliances in the kitchen...most of which were {at least} 25 years old. Well, he liked that idea - so off we went to Sears and bought a basic Kenmore stove, fridge, dishwasher and over the stove microwave. {It's New England - so, yes. I was able to do all that for about the equivalent of a month's rent.} And Saturday was delivery day. 

When I went downstairs to make coffee, I turned over my page-a-day calendar and there it was...."YIPPEE".... {My Mary Engelbreit page-a-day and I are very in sync} I just knew this was going to be a very good day. 

As you can see from the picture, I have a new {working} stove and some shiny new pots. Finally made dinner last night .... Sunday. I'll spare you all the details, but let's just say that one two-hour-late-beyond-my- delivery-window delivery, one dropped fridge {from four feet. off the side of the truck. flat on its face} and one missing part of the dishwasher hook up kit didn't help Saturday add up to a "yippee" kinda day. Thank goodness we have a very good friend {electrician/builder} who stayed with us through it all. And thank goodness I'm just talking about some momentary frustration over THINGS....and nothing serious. And thank goodness there was so much more to my week than this.....but isn't it crazy how these light and momentary troubles can get under our skin? Stress mounts, some odd sense of "injustice" takes over and the joy from moments with good friends or the peace from a relaxed weekend morning gets stolen right away! 

So, as I regrouped yesterday and took stock, I'm still up two new working appliances, one new {almost} working appliance and another new appliance headed my way on Wednesday. By the time the sauce was bubbling on the stove last night, I was back in my right mind and feeling genuinely grateful. All the truly important things are just fine. 

The true highlight of this week was good time with a very special family that was visiting from afar.


And some good time outside...just me and my camera.


"The end of the matter is better than than its beginning,
and patience is better than pride.
Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit,
for anger resides in the lap of fools."
Ecclesiastes 7:8-9

5 comments:

  1. Oh! New appliances are such a boon! Sorry you had a few snags along the way, but you are so right about light and momentary troubles...and perceived injustices. It all seems so silly sometimes, and yet, we do struggle to deal with them. Thankfully, as you said, they were all small things in the grand scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for new appliances!! Smart landlord! Use them well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like one of my delivery days, just add one foot of snow ;)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, sounds like some hectic times getting those appliances. Glad it all worked out (or is in the process of getting worked out). Your photo of the swans makes me miss "mine" even more. Sure hope they come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Stress mounts, some odd sense of "injustice" takes over and the joy from moments with good friends or the peace from a relaxed weekend morning gets stolen right away! "

    I need to remind myself of this often. And it goes back to having a grateful heart. If everything is a gift, then the injustice doesn't seem as so oftentimes.

    ReplyDelete