Wednesday, October 16, 2013

What Do You See?


In an ordinary corner of an ordinary parking lot sits a tree. It's not a huge tree, or an exotic tree. But it's there to greet me every morning when I get to work, and to wish me well on my way home in the evening. If you follow me on Instagram you've been watching my tree with me over the past few weeks.


Remember the bright, vibrant, fiery red?


The red that glowed with the light of the sun...


...and glistened when wet on those rainy...


...blustery days.


I've watched the full branches slowly loose their leaves...


...until all but a very few have fallen. 

It's only been two weeks since I took that first shot of this tree ~ full and on fire! Now it's time for rest. The snows and ice will be here before we know it...and, though I won't be able to see it, growth and rejuvenation will be taking place right here. Inside the tree, in that ordinary corner of the ordinary parking lot, nature will be working her miracles. 

My hope today is that I won't ignore the bare, winter-time tree. But that I'll remember. When the branches are dark and empty, stark and brittle against a gray winter sky, I hope I'll see beyond all that and remember... Remember the buds of spring, and the greens of summer and the crimson that is fall. And know that change ~ powerful change ~ is happening. Whether it looks like it or not.


"It's not what you look at that matters,
it's what you see."
Henry David Thoreau

Linking up with



13 comments:

  1. Beautiful Autumn photos!
    Greetings, RW & SK

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be farther north, because the trees in the south have just barely begun to turn. Red leaf maples are amazing. I'm glad you got to enjoy its beauty each day. Feeds the soul, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful wonderful wonderful. i have fallen in love with your tree. trees share such wonder with us -- if we only look and listen. great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post and quote and fiery red tree photos!... there's one like this outside my bedroom window that I feel the same way about, it provides a sort of companionship throughout my days. The bottom photo of the single red leaf is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your tree and I love your words. It is so easy to get lost in the times of bare branches, winds, snows, and ice. Winter can be so hard not only on the land, but the mind. But the promise of renewal is happening all along. Such a great metaphor. Each spring, I mental greet the new leaves, and say hello future autumn beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beauty in unexpected places..and you have done the Tree it's true justice. How lovely and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful autumnal photos - I especially like the rainy sky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a gorgeous writing style, that really brings you into feeling your story...Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are so stunning! I love the reds, and that image with the leaves blowing in the wind is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so shocking to me every time I look at your wonderful autumn and then look outdoors here and see green, green and more green! Where is my fall?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous Photos.I like red leaves the best. And sunlight and blue skies make every picture more awesome! Don't you just love fall!!!

    Coming from Little By Little

    Iris♥
    The Blue Birdhouse

    ReplyDelete