Sunday, October 19, 2014

{ healthy } Fall Deliciousness


With a chop, a boil and a blend,
I whipped up my new absolute favorite thing.
Maybe ever.
Who knew I liked butternut squash?
Not me!
Who knew one could make a creamy, delicious soup with NO dairy, gluten or sugar?
Not me!


Fortunately for me,
I have a wonderful nutritionist...
She loves creating healthy recipes and menus
like I love photos, paper and storytelling.
As she's inspired me
and taught me to re-think most everything in my life where food is concerned,
she's also become a dear friend.


With her encouragement,
I cooked up a large pot of this yummy soup on Monday ~
Served it with a side salad of spinach, avocado and roasted pumpkin seeds ~
and had plenty left over for the week.
The soup stays fresh, well blended and re-heats really well!


I hope you enjoy Anna's Butternut Squash soup as much as I did!

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup

- 32 ounces cut up butternut squash
- 16 ounces water or gluten free veggie stock
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 TBS pure maple syrup
- Sea salt to taste
- *1/2 cup coconut milk

In a large pot over high heat combine squash broth/water, and onion  Cover and bring to a boil. Add cinnamon, nutmeg and maple syrup. Allow to boil with cover off for 5 minutes. Put cover back on and simmer on low for 30 minutes. Check to see that veggies are fork tender. Working in batches, add half of contents into blender. In order to vent, remove the small top of the blender cover (it is a good idea to place a dish towel over opening to avoid a mess). Blend until smooth and creamy. Salt to taste. Place back into pot and simmer over low heat to re-warm.

*If you are feeling creative, you can add 1/2 cup coconut milk to soup once all pureed and back in pot warming.

{find more of Anna's gluten-free recipes here}



Linking up with

5 comments:

  1. Oo I am adding this to my must make this fall/winter shots! I made carrot soup this weekend, perfect for the chilly nights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made some in my Vitamix a few weeks ago. Was the first time, but NOT the last, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is my favorite soup in the whole wide world. i always order it when we go to alanta bread and it is the best. thanks for sharing the recipe, it will be nice to be able to make it at home!!

    you look great adrienne, in your picture on fb. and you photograph food beautifully!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this soup! I made something like this but added caramelized apples and onions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh, looks delicious!!!! :) I'll have to give it a try this fall!

    ReplyDelete