Thursday, September 8, 2016

Those Darn Cookies


Cookies have never made me cry.

Oh, I've cried many rivers of tears over food and dieting and, well, food. But never specifically over cookies. When I have cravings, they're more along the lines of pizza/chips/cheese/bread. You know, the salty cravings. But cookies? Never shed a tear for them.

Yesterday I was in the grocery store. I wasn't in a hurry ~ just enjoying some time thinking about fixing my son some of his favorites and putting together a goodie bag for him as he moved into his new apartment. He's got a great new roommate and a new place in Boston, and I'm so happy for him! It's been a long time coming. He's endured the post-collegiate-have-to-live-at-home-if-I'm-gonna-pay-back-my-student-loan phase very well. And he's handled it all so responsibly. He's earned this freedom! Literally.

So, there I was in the grocery store, filling my cart, trying to remember all the ingredients I'd need for his beloved mac-n-cheese and his adored shepherd's pie. And I thought, "Oh, I know! I should also find his favorite cookies to send with him. That would make him happy!" Off I went to the cookie aisle. Sure enough, there they were. His mint chocolate Milanos. As I reached out to grab them and put them in my cart, I got all choked up. Seriously choked up. Then the tears started flowing. Right there in the cookie aisle. In the middle of Market Basket, the memories came flooding back. All the grocery trips that we've taken together...from little guy riding in the carriage, to young man keeping me company.....uh-oh, hear come those darn tears again!

I'm telling you - this motherhood thing never ceases to surprise me. And fill me. And empty me completely! It's a wonder how we manage to feel exuberantly happy, profoundly proud, achingly nostalgic and just plain sad all in the same moment. But if you're a mom, I know you know exactly what I'm talking about! I just hope, for your sake, that it doesn't all catch up with you in the middle of Market Basket.

Cause as of yesterday afternoon, I can no longer say that cookies have never made me cry.



10 comments:

  1. Aw, so sweet. Good luck to him! And I so miss those cookies now ):

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww adrienne, that's the moment, the moment that you know you have done well. we raise them to give them away and it's probably the hardest thing we do. but if we have done a good job, it will happen!!!

    i love when we can send them back home with food. mike flies now as he is in north carolina, so i can't send him back with his favorites!! but you can bet i had all his favorites in the house for this visit. after he left, chuck left a post-it on my desk, it said "mike, salt & vinegar chips, sweet ice tea and candy kisses", 2 things i was missing. the kisses i had but i didn't realize he loved them so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! All three of mine are grown now and I totally know what you mean. I didn't have a meltdown in the cookie aisle yet, but I think it's because all mine are still living relatively close to me so I still see them. Stopping by from Mama Kat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, food can have that effect on you! Loved your grocery visit story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am at that phase right now and I know how you feel! Sniff! And I have to say those Milano cookies are to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So hard to let go and let them fly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm feeling the sisterhood! It is a bittersweet time, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post. Being a mom is a wild ride sometimes. My youngest just started school and there is a profound sense of loss as we head in to a new phase of parenthood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's the silly things right that just get you

    Mollyxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, I can definitely see myself feeling this exact same way. Right now we're in the thick of it with the buying of all their specials favorite foods, but someday they'll be taken off the list with no one home to eat them. I love that you fill your cart with them again the moment he returns. :)

    ReplyDelete