Sunday, May 6, 2012

Baby Swans!





Yesterday afternoon I went to check on "my" nesting swan. And - lo and behold - the babies had hatched!

Before I got near enough to see what was going on, I heard the geese and the swans squawking loudly back and forth. There were fluttering wings and there was whooshing water. The geese were trying to get near the babies...and 'daddy' swan was hissing and flapping and chasing them off. He protected the perimeter, so 'mama' swan and the seven babies could swim away from the nest.

I spent about half an hour climbing through the twigs and weeds at the edge of the pond, stalking the little family and taking photos. Other than the occasional thorn, I enjoyed every minute of it!

It was great to be out enjoying the pond on a bright, sunny day.






and
 then, she {snapped}

9 comments:

  1. Adrienne these are wonderful! Such great composition and pretty processing. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an amazing shot!!! I love the last one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhh, the last one is adorable!!!! I love the fuzzy feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an amazing experience, to see, to share, i get goosebumps just thinking about it!!

    the images are beautiful, those fuzzy babies so cute.

    and i love the ripple pattern in the water. it's all just so special!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my. You know swans have a special place in my heart. If Bride Swan ever showed up with little ones.....be still, my heart!

    Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to see this little family...great pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. gosh they're cute! I've never seen a baby swan .. till now :) Thank you!
    MJ

    ReplyDelete