Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Extraordinary Ordinary

"Not that it's difficult to photograph mundane things
but it's difficult to see them as significant.
The hard thing to do of course is to find a way to
photograph a mundane subject
or mundane event in a way that makes it exciting."
Brooks Jensen

I read this quote on a lovely photo blog that I follow: 
And it really spoke to me!

I think all the photo prompts I've been introduced to through blogging
{and all the instagramming I've become addicted to}
have helped me to see the world around me,
and all it's little pieces,
NOT
as mundane...but as significant.
So for this week's Scavenger Hunt I thought I'd take a prompt a day
and find me a treasure!

On Mondays I usually go to the grocery store...not my favorite thing. But 'hunting' a photo made it more fun! How do I take an interesting picture of what's BELOW MY FEET? Well, this perspective made me happy (and showed off my newly painted toe nails.)


Tuesday was a nasty, rainy day. As I thought about CAPTURING MOTION I knew I had to catch a shot of all the falling water. When I got to work, the drain pipe was gushing ~ and voila! I had my shot!


I knew that Wednesday's word was TEXTURE and this is one of the first things I saw when I opened my eyes. I slept under this summer blanket at my grandmother's house when I was a girl. I'm so glad that I have it now to wake up to!


When it came to Thursday's challenge - FACE YOUR FEARS - I was stumped...until I found myself hesitant to send a blog post out into the blogosphere for fear it just wasn't worth anyone's time to read it! Not the prettiest of the photos...but {perhaps} the most significant to me, as I'm sure I'll face this fear many more times!


Well, we've made it to Friday...and I am CURRENTLY getting the food ready for our camping trip. Banana bread is in the oven, meat and veggies {for the kabobs} are chopped and marinating...and it's only 7:30am!


Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend!


Joining Tabitha for Sunday Citar
And Ashley for Scavenger Hunt Sunday

16 comments:

  1. Enjoyed all of your photos this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful, Adrienne. You have such a good idea for a great photo.
    The crocheted bedspread from your grandmother's house is beautiful; what a treasure.
    And the only thing I fear more than clicking publish...is accidentally clicking it before I mean to. That's happened a couple of times!
    Hope you're having a wonderful camping trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots, great interpretations and way to go combining two memes! I am joining Sunday Citar for the first time this week, and hope to join the scavenger hunt next week!

    I love that quote and might have to borrow it as well. I love photographing the "mundane" things that others miss because they are in too much of a hurry!

    Sunsets by MAK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shots and the words :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice photos and editing. I also love the texture shot of your grandmother's blanket. What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great set, enjoy your camping trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful set. Such a great little back story with each photo!

    Thank you for sharing that quote. It is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice-nice-nice!
    I love your idea of taking a prompt each day - too often I find myself on Saturday scrambling to get them each done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome set this week, creative and fun.

    i like that you do a word a day, i'm going to try that. i struggled this week, doing one a day will be more fun and make it more like a scavenger hunt.

    i really like your textured blanket with it special meaning and warmth!!

    i hope your having fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great interpretation for movement - love that one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love how you do a word a day, I am going to have to try that!

    great set ;)

    Would love if you would come and participate in Observing Beauty, a weekly photo challenge. This weeks challenge is "Water".

    http://chickensonthemoon.blogspot.com/2012/05/observing-beauty-water.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this post!! What a great look into your week, and your thoughts! :) Enjoy your camping trip, I'm sure it will be nothing short of amazing!!


    ~Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blanket; the rain, such amazing shots!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your prompt a day approach! Your photos, as always, are beautiful. Your blanket is gorgeous. Even your grocery cart looks great! I'd be scared to photograph mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adrienne ~ These are great match-ups for the scavenger hunt!
    I agree that the "Publish" button is intimidating (auuggghhh!)
    But click on it anyway;
    you are doing a wonderful job with your blog(s).
    ~ Deb

    ReplyDelete