Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Gift that Keeps on Giving


Three years ago, inside this sweet little house we call home, my family gave me a Cannon Rebel.
It was the first time I'd owned a camera that wasn't "just" a point and shoot!

Forty years earlier, I received a Kodak Instamatic camera...from Santa, if memory serves.
I'd shoot a roll of film, give the film cartridge to my dad, and he'd take it to be developed. For days I'd run down the stairs when he got home from work, looking for my prints. He'd smile at me from the bottom of the stairs and sing, "Someday your prince prints will come!"
He's a cutie.

These days I get to take a photo of today's snowfall...
and show it off {the snowfall, not the photo} the very same day!


I can take hundreds of photos of the simple things...
the front of my house after a snow storm, my back yard trees and the pond down the street.
I've lost myself for hours behind my lens...and found bits of myself there too.
I plan dates with my Rebel.
I walk for miles with her as the seasons change. She has helped me see so very many things I've never noticed before! I've always been one to capture big events...to document happenings.


But now I find it's the sweetness of my day to day...of a leaf, or a snowflake...a sunbeam or a puddle...it's all these little things that catch my eye. And find their way into my heart.

And, thanks to the gift that keeps on giving, I can preserve these precious bits for years to come.



Linking up with
and



14 comments:

  1. My camera has been there with me thru good times, and bad times. I swear it helps keep me sane...you are right, it's the gift that keeps on giving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful series. So delicate. I wish I had the opportunity to photograph such sites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just wonderful, Adrienne. I love "your prints will come"!
    But this is my favorite line in your post:
    "I've lost myself for hours behind my lens...and found bits of myself there too."
    How true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have mastered taking beautiful photographs. Today it's so easy to be able to take so many images and not worry what the images will look like...it's a different world. :)These bits of you found a long the way are the best gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing the possibilities, huh!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing ho times have changed but the idea of capturing memories is the same.

    My dad was a photog so I grew up with him developing our film in the basement darkroom! But, I do love the instant gratification now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the story of your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It wasn't all that long ago that I was still having film developed. There is something to be said about the anticipation of seeing a picture you took for the very first time though. My kids will never know. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have captured perfectly what is in the heart of a blogging photographer. I have a Nikon (which I chose because Nikon has a song) which I feel the same way about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sweet! I love the joy a camera brings. And I love the joy your images bring to us! I remember my first camera. It was a Poloroid back in 1982.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, yes! It is so true ... once we get these dslr's in our little hands, life changes, doesn't it? I wouldn't trade my photo lifestyle for all the tea, etc. Beautiful snow scenes and a Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooohhhh how i remember those days, isn't digital wonderful!!

    i get the so much joy from photographing the most unusual things and i see everything differently now. i often feel like my camera is an extension of my arm and i never leave home without it!!

    ps...you sure have a lot of snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos! Isn't it amazing how quickly we can take a photo, edit it, and throw it up online for the whole world to see? It's a wonderful, yet dangerous ability.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your dad and mine would have enjoyed sharing their cleverness!

    ReplyDelete